Wednesday, June 07, 2006

You know they got a hell of a band...

I've been neglecting the blog recently for no good reason, so I won't offer excuses, although I will note that the end of the Supreme Court's current term has produced more whimpers than bangs. The legal cognoscenti have been straining to drum up some sense of moment or outrage at the mostly trivial decisions handed down recently, especially Garcetti v. Ceballos and I'm reluctant to join in.

Anyway, I really should have posted something yesterday to mark the arrival of 6/6/06, but it's just too corny. The Omen remake opened yesterday, probably generating more interest because of its release date than anything else. I wasn't that enthused about the original, so I can't get too worked up about this one, although I must say that it shouldn't surprise anyone that the antichrist issues from the union of Liev Schreiber and Julia Stiles (OK, he's adopted, but still). Interestingly, they played brother (Laertes) and sister (Ophelia) in Michael Almereyda's successful updating of Hamlet a few years ago, back when you couldn't do an update of Shakespeare without Julia Stiles in it.

I just noticed this piece on the all music guide in which the staff pick their favorite God-related tunes, presumably to counteract the devilish vibes of the week so far. I don't know all the music on this list, but a few that I do know are really stand outs, especially Donny Hathaway's "Thank You Master (For My Soul)" a spiritual song that always makes this self-described atheist lose his composure. I just bought Chris Bell's I Am the Cosmos recently, but "Better Save Yourself" is really a great tune. I've also got a lot of affection for "My Sweet Lord", although I've long preferred Billy Preston's (RIP) version that appeared on his fantastic "Encouraging Words" album.

I'm gonna need to give some thought to what my favorite God-connected songs are. The only thing that pops to mind immediately is "Good Old Desk" by Harry Nilsson, which isn't really about God, even though Harry once jokingly suggested it was to Hugh Hefner on Playboy After Dark. Nilsson is also responsible for the genuinely deity-related "Good for God", but it's not that great. Any suggestions are, of course, appreciated.

P.S. I really wrote this post on the 7th, but in the middle of the last sentence above, blogger decided to take the rest of the day off. I didn't get back to posting it yesterday, so here it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home