Monday, June 27, 2005

"God watches over little children, drunkards, and Antonin Scalia"

The Ten Commandments cases are a mess, so much so that the least ridiculous opinion of the lot is Breyer's in Van Orden v Perry, finding that the religious display in question isn't unconstitutional because it doesn't seem unconstitutional.

The title of this post is adapted from a quote in Scalia's dissent in McCreary County, which he attributes (willfully) to Charles de Gaulle. I like Scalia's opinion here for various reasons, particularly its candor, although this subject doesn't present Scalia at his best.

For those who might be bored with all the Court-related stuff appearing here, I do other things too. I even saw a couple of movies this weekend, which I might write about shortly. I've also been thinking about a roundup post about music I've been listening to recently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home