Friday, September 09, 2005

When the Levee Breaks

I haven't posted anything since CJ Rehnquist died, but it's hard to concentrate on the upcoming Supreme Court term with the Gulf Coast devastated and New Orleans under water. There are several sources online for those looking to offer or looking for help, but the Katrina Help Wiki collects many of them (mirror).

A few other links of interest:

A somewhat politically-interested timeline of Katrina events.

Two songs responding to Katrina from K-Otix and Mos Def.

On the subject of music, let's remember an early warning of sorts from Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe McCoy, who recorded "When the Levee Breaks" (about the Great Tennessee Flood of 1927) back in 1929. Minnie is probably best known for "Bumble Bee" (at least by me), but Led Zepplin did a version of "Levee" on their fourth album.

Lyrics to the McCoys' "When the Levee Breaks" below (from Blues Lyrics Online)


If it keeps on rainin', levee's goin' to break (2x)
And the water gonna come in, have no place to stay

Well all last night I sat on the levee and moan (2x)
Thinkin' 'bout my baby and my happy home

If it keeps on rainin', levee's goin' to break (2x)
And all these people have no place to stay

Now look here mama what am I to do (2x)
I ain't got nobody to tell my troubles to

I works on the levee mama both night and day (2x)
I ain't got nobody, keep the water away

Oh cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do no good (2x)
When the levee breaks, mama, you got to lose

I works on the levee, mama both night and day (2x)
I works so hard, to keep the water away

I had a woman, she wouldn't do for me (2x)
I'm goin' back to my used to be

I's a mean old levee, cause me to weep and moan (2x)
Gonna leave my baby, and my happy home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home